He’s CTO at CoverageBook, Rubyist, Conference Organizer of Brighton Ruby, Author, Speaker, Bootstrapper & Twin Dad.
An email newsletter, with one Ruby/Rails technique delivered with a ‘why?’ and a ‘how?’ every two weeks. It’s deliberately brief, focussed & opinionated.
- Really, Really, Really Don’t Interpolate Strings into Active Record Methods
- Assign a default value to an attribute in Active Record
- Consider find_each for looping through Active Record associations
- Try not to loop through associations inside jobs
- Only use locals in view partials
- Find out what callbacks are defined on an Active Record model in the console
- Safely Remove a Column from an Active Record Model
- Use zero? for comparison of numerics like Integer, Float and BigDecimal
- Time Ranges are Clearer When Querying Databases
- Time extensions are an unsung hero of Active Support
- Use before? and after? Methods When Comparing Dates and Times in Rails
- The Mrs Triggs Problem
- Know what your scopes are doing: where.first vs find_by
- Software & Infrastructure we use to Run Our SaaS
- Enqueue Jobs Quickly with Sidekiq’s Bulk Features
more ruby articles…
Design & Development
Bits & Doings
- Year in Review 2022
- Year in Review 2021
- Year in Review 2020
- Year in Review 2019
- Year in Review 2018
- Year in Review 2017
- Duncan Croll, 1952—2016
- The New Homes of Five Simple Steps Books
- Pivotal Tracker Fluid Icon
- Furiously Paddling Underneath
- Founder Shares & Dilution at Tumblr: How Much Did The Founders Make?
- What Should I Buy for Twins?
- What Buggy/Travel System Should I Buy For Twins?
- Leaving Singapore
- Ubud, Bali
- Pay, Equity and Startups
- Pitchaholics Anonymous
- South Africa: Mala Mala & Cape Town
- Pivotal Labs & EMC: The Future?
- Setup DLink ShareCenter DNS-320 on Mac OS X
- Running RedDotRubyConf 2011
- Setting up a Company in Singapore as an Expat
- My First Hate Mail from Wen Kole, Singapore